Do you get tired of constantly bending down and reaching under your kitchen sink to turn on the garbage disposal? Or, are you looking for a better, more efficient way to operate your disposal? If so, then the answer is simple: invest in a quality garbage disposal air switch.
An air switch for a garbage disposal is an electrical switch used to turn the garbage disposal on and off. It is typically installed on the countertop, sink rim, or sink deck and consists of a button or switch that activates the disposal when pressed.
It operates using a small air hose that runs from the switch to a control box that is mounted under the sink. The benefit of using an air switch is that it eliminates the need for a traditional wall switch, which can be difficult to install in certain locations and can pose a safety hazard if it comes into contact with water.
It is also more hygienic than a wall switch because it is easier to clean and disinfect.
If you choose the wrong product, you may end up causing more harm than good. The inappropriate switch can cause plumbing issues, clogs, and even water damage to your home. In addition, it can increase the risk of electric shock. This is why it’s important to pick the right air switch for your garbage disposal.
Best Garbage Disposal Air Switch – Our Top Picks!
In this section, we’ll discuss the best garbage disposal air switch so that you can make the right choice for your kitchen. We’ll go over the different types of switches, and the pros and cons of each. By the end, you’ll have the knowledge and tools necessary to make an informed choice and keep your kitchen safe.
1. SINKINGDOM SinkTop Air Switch Kit with Brass Gold Long Button (Best Overall)
- Color: Brass Gold, Champagne Bronze, Chrome, Matte Black, Oil Rubbed Bronze
- Package Dimensions: 7.6 x 4.4 x 3.3 inches
- Shape: Round
- Installation Method: Surface-Mounted
- Measurement Accuracy: ±1.0mm
- Switch Type: Single Outlet
I recently installed the SINKINGDOM SinkTop Air Switch in my kitchen and I have to say, I’m thoroughly impressed with its performance. This switch is rated to handle a maximum of 22 amps at 125/250 volts AC, making it the perfect combination of power and safety. This rating gives me peace of mind knowing that the switch can handle the amount of electricity needed to run my garbage disposal without the risk of malfunction or breakdown.
One of the things I love most about this switch is its 3-horsepower capacity. It’s a powerhouse and makes quick work of even the largest piles of food waste. The motor won’t be overworked, so I can grind for longer without any interruptions in my kitchen routine. This is especially important to me, as I love to cook and don’t want to be constantly stopping to empty the disposal.
The attention to detail in the design of this switch is also noteworthy. The duo of gaskets and Enhanced Copper Nut ensure a secure and watertight seal, preventing any unwanted debris from interfering with the switch. This extra layer of protection is especially important to me, as I live in a damp climate and I don’t want water or debris to damage my switch.
The Air Tube with a 60.00″/1.5M rating is a lifesaver, allowing me to turn on and off the disposal without ever reaching inside. This feature not only reduces my risk of electrocution, but it also serves as a noise-canceling cushion, creating a soft barrier between me and the sound of the switch being activated. I can now grind my food waste without having to endure loud, annoying sounds.
I highly recommend the SINKINGDOM SinkTop Air Switch for anyone looking for a dependable and safe solution for their garbage disposal. It’s the perfect combination of power and safety, making it a must-have for any modern kitchen.
- Good quality construction and water don’t get in the switch.
- Easy to Install on a countertop
- It pushes in easily and only needs a light touch
- Heavy brass construction
- Comes with UR Certification that shows the quality and safety standards of this switch.
- No installation instructions
- Need a bigger hole in the counter top to adjust
2. BESTILL Sink Top Garbage Disposal Air Switch (Best in the Low Budget)
- Color: Black, Brushed Gold, Brushed Nickel, Oil Rubbed Bronze, Polished Chrome, Antique Copper, White
- Package Dimensions: 4.88 x 4.84 x 3.11 inches
- Shape: Round
- Installation Method: Plug-In Mounted
- Size: LONG
- Power Source: AC
BESTILL air switch stands out from the crowd because of the extensive specialties it possesses. It is protected from moisture, dust, and other debris with the Solid Brass Cover, constructed to fit perfectly over the switch. This cover also provides a stylish look, while its solid brass construction makes it highly durable and able to withstand years of use.
You will like that it boasts a plastic thread plug to ensure a secure connection between the air switch and the garbage disposal. This plug helps to keep water and other debris from entering the air switch and potentially damaging the electrical components. Also, it helps to reduce the noise generated by the garbage disposal by keeping the air switch and garbage disposal tightly sealed.
Furthermore, it is manufactured with an extended body of 3 inches to provide extra clearance between the switch and thicker countertops of greater than 1.5 inches in thickness. This extra clearance makes installation easier, and the included mounting ring ensures a secure attachment point for a safe and successful connection.
BESTILL benefits from a single outlet power module, providing a convenient and secure way of powering the device. It eliminates the need for multiple outlets, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the switch. The power module is also equipped with an over-current and short-circuit protection circuit, as well as surge protection, providing an extra layer of power protection.
- Easy to install, hardly take 10 minutes to install.
- Possess a 5-foot air tube to permit the user to place the air switch further away from the garbage disposal.
- Comes with an 18-Month limited warranty to give you peace of mind.
- The 3hp horsepower grants the necessary power to grind food waste into small particles that can be safely carried away by water.
- Paint started off after a few months
- Top ring is not durable, popped off while the installer was hand tightening
3. Essential Values Garbage Disposal Air Switch
- Color: Satin Brushed Nickel, chrome, Red Oil Bronze
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 3 x 8 inches
- Switch Type: Dual Outlet
- Item Weight: 13 ounces
- Materials: Stainless steel, bronze, or chrome
Essential Values waste removal air switch relies on vinyl air tubing to keep the switch and disposal connected and secure. This airtight seal is flexible and durable, permitting easy installation and helping to reduce the chances of electrical shocks and other hazards. Its simple yet effective design makes it the exemplary way to keep your switch and disposal connected and protected.
One of the best things about this item is that it grants you the power to switch between cold and hot water in a flash. Just connect the second outlet to the garbage disposal, and when activated, the power will alternate between the two, granting you to instantly toggle between hot and cold water for a hot water dispenser.
Additionally, its highly efficient 3FT Power Cord is designed to deliver the electricity that the switch needs to operate as intended. This cord serves as an important safeguard against power fluctuations that could otherwise cause damage to the device.
Essential Values waste removal air switch can be securely connected to the power supply with the help of the mountable power module. This module provides a secure connection, protecting against electrical overloads, short circuits, and damaging electrical surges. Plus, it is designed to be mounted directly onto the wall or cabinet, eliminating the need for extra wiring.
- Super-fast delivery
- Very easy to install
- Need a small push to turn it on and off
- A cheaper alternative to the Insinkerator
- Equipped with a 6-foot-long hose to provide more flexibility for installation.
- Have a dual outlet that eliminates the need to purchase two separate switches when two appliances are used in the same area, such as a trash compactor and garbage disposal.
- It comes with an 18awg cord that is rated for 10 amps — well below the power usage of most garbage disposals
- Sometimes Button sticks
- Button falls off from frame easily, and doesn’t connect properly
4. CLEESINK Garbage Disposal Switch
- Color: Brushed Stainless Steel, Brushed Gold, Copper Chrome, Plastic Black, Plastic White, Stainless Steel Polished
- Package Dimensions: 4.92 x 4.45 x 3.03 inches
- Size: SHORT/2″
- Hose Length: 45 Inches
- Switch Type: Single Outlet
CLEESINK is one of the best brands in the market for making premier quality garbage disposal air switches. This model has a stainless steel cover that acts as an extra layer of protection to help keep dust, debris, and moisture away from the switch, reducing the risk of electrical shorts and corrosion. Plus, the covering offers a layer of protection against accidental knocks or drops, so your switch is safe from harm.
You will be glad to know that its ABS Power Module puts the convenience of turning your garbage disposal on and off right at your fingertips. With two separate power outputs, this ABS mechanism allows you to easily connect the waste removal motor to one output and the air switch to the other, making it simple to switch the power on and off with the press of a button.
In addition to that, it boasts a single outlet for a smooth and straightforward installation. With no need to make multiple connections, it provides an efficient connection from the disposal to its electrical source. Too, the single outlet design reduces the likelihood of errors in the wiring to ensure the safe and proper operation of the unit.
CLEESINK packs a powerful punch, offering 2HP power for faster, more efficient operation. This impressive output provides more torque and quicker rotation, enabling it to take on tougher items and grind them up quickly, so you can spend less time on waste management and more time on other activities. Plus, its enhanced power output reduces strain on the motor, ensuring it has a longer life and more reliable performance.
- Elegant design
- Operation is good
- Easy to Install, Takes 15 mints
- With a range of voltages from 110V to 130V, it is suitable for any residential power system.
- Compatible with any brand of garbage disposals (≤2HP) like Waste King, ISE, Moen, GE, and more.
- Slightly bigger in size
- Plastic assembly appears fragile
- Compatibility issues with some garbage disposal models
5. Moen ARC-4200-CH/SN AMC Kitchen Waste Disposal Air Switch
- Color: Chrome/Satin Chrome
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 1.69 x 2.56 x 3.75 inches
- Current Rating: 2 Amps
- Contact Type: Normally Closed
- Connector Type: Clamp
- Switch Style: Pressure Switch
- Contact Material: Gold
Moen is revolutionizing the installation process, making it simpler and easier than ever before. Their new 1-3/8″ mounting hole size eliminates any gaps or loose connections, ensuring that your switch is installed securely. This assembling process is incredibly simple and fast, as you don’t need to worry about drilling or cutting. And once it’s in place, you can rest assured that it won’t become unsteady or misaligned, even with any vibration or movement.
Additionally, it is connected securely with 1/8″ air tubing, enabling air to pass through the connection with ease and efficiency. Its slim size ensures it is unobtrusive, yet still permits for a great flow of air to be transported. This means activating the switch is a breeze, without worrying about air pressure or leaks.
Most customers are attracted to this purchase because it boasts an impressive International Protection Rating of IP20, making sure that this switch is safe from any dust, dirt, or other solid objects larger than 12 millimeters, while also providing shielding from any dripping water that could damage the switch. Now you can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that your switch is equipped with the safeguarding it needs to work properly.
Moen ARC-4200-CH/SN AMC is equipped with a convenient ON-NONE-OFF mode that makes it easier than ever to control your garbage disposal. In “On” mode, your disposal is activated right away; “None” mode leaves it inactive; and in “Off,” the disposal will shut down. It is ideal for those who prefer a single switch for activating and deactivating their garbage disposal without needing to manually engage the motor.
- 2 top cover options, chrome or stainless steel
- Button is handy and gives a clean counter look
- Easy to install and operate
- Possess a 10′ air tube length that permits the switch to be placed in a more convenient location, such as on the countertop or wall.
- At 12.2 ounces, it is as light as a feather and can be easily installed in any location.
- It has an upper-temperature rating of 100 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent the switch from becoming damaged due to excess heat.
- It sometimes takes a little longer time to go from None mode to Off mode.
6. Etoolcity LF40-011A Garbage Disposal Air Switch
- Color: Stainless Steel Polished, Stainless Steel Brushed, Stainless Steel Brushed Gold
- Package Dimensions: 9.41 x 6.26 x 2.56 inches
- Size: Single Outlet Short/2”
- Material: Stainless steel, Plastic, Rubber
- Item Weight: 11.7 ounces
Now you can say goodbye to the days of complicated garbage disposal installation. Etoolcity LF40-011A delivers two power module installation methods, providing a much easier setup. Stick with the nano-markless hook sticker for an unobtrusive, rationalized assembly, or opt for the rigid and steadfast screw method for extra security. Either way, you can trust that your garbage disposal will work optimally.
We were very impressed by the fact that it comes with a 5 ft long air tube attachment that enables you to activate the switch from a distance. Simply connect one end of the tube to the switch and the other end to a remote control unit. When the remote control unit is activated, it sends a burst of air through the tube which triggers the switch to turn the garbage disposal on or off.
Furthermore, it is no ordinary switch. Instead, it utilizes a powerful air compressor or compressed air tank to create a pressure difference in its stainless steel tube, resulting in reliable and secure operation. When the button is pressed, the pressure difference forces air through the tube and activates the switch, immediately turning on the garbage disposal.
Etoolcity LF40-011A is safeguarded from potential damage due to power fluctuations with the UL-attested power line. Not only does this provide reliable power for the switch, but it also helps to protect the user from any electrical shocks that can be a risk to other power sources.
- It can be installed without making holes in the countertop
- Fast delivery
- Brushed nickel finish looks great
- Contains a 2.5 ft power cable that gives the necessary electrical connection between the unit and the power source.
- Few users complain about missing parts
- No usage instructions
- Made up of flimsy plastic
How to Choose Garbage Disposal Air Switch – Buyer’s Guide
Finding the ideal unit can be a daunting task. With countless options, it can be difficult to know which switch is best for your specific needs. This buying guide will provide an overview of the most important factors to consider when choosing a garbage disposal air switch. Keep reading for more information on this topic!
When it comes to buying a garbage disposal air switch, one of the most important things to consider is the length of the hose. The hose length is essential because it determines the placement of the switch and the ease of use. If the hose is too short, it may not reach the desired location or may be difficult to access. On the other hand, if the hose is too long, it may interfere with other objects in the area or be more difficult to mount.
There are a variety of hose lengths available when it comes to garbage disposal air switches. Generally, the standard length of hoses is between 35 and 45 inches, but there are also longer hoses up to 36 inches.
Types of Air Switch
There are three main types of air switches – push-button, rocker, and paddle – and each one offers a unique way to control the flow of power. Push-button switches provide a straightforward way to switch on and off with the simple press of a button.
Rocker switches use a rocker arm to flip the switch up or down and is ideal for controlling multiple devices. Finally, paddle switches are reliable and perfect for commercial applications, as they are activated with a simple paddle motion.
It is essential to look for the capabilities of your garbage disposal air switch before purchasing one. Knowing the number of outlets, voltage, and current rating can be the difference between running one appliance or two. A switch with a single outlet can only control a single device, whereas a dual-outlet switch can be used to power a sink and dishwasher.
When selecting a switch, it is also important to select one with the correct voltage and current rating for the device you wish to power. A switch with too low a rating may not be able to handle the power demands of the appliance, whereas a switch with too high a rating can be a safety hazard.
Safety is paramount when it comes to garbage disposal air switches. These switches help keep kitchens safe from bacteria and germs and prevent accidents and injuries. Ensure the unit has an airtight seal to prevent food and debris from entering and causing electrical hazards or shocks from exposure to moisture. Check for built-in overload protection to prevent damage to the motor and overheating, which can cause fires.
Ease of Installation
Ease of installation is also crucial when choosing a garbage disposal air switch. Look for models with pre-drilled holes, mounting brackets, and adhesive tape for secure placement. Some switches have longer cords and LED lights indicating operation and automatic timers. Choose a switch that makes installation convenient.
Why You should use Air Switch for Garbage Disposal Rather than traditional Wall Switch?
An air switch replaces the traditional wall switch, which can be dangerous if it comes into contact with water. Because an air switch operates on air pressure rather than electricity, there is no danger of electrocution if the switch or wiring becomes wet.
An air switch can be installed in a more accessible location, such as the countertop or sink rim, or inside the kitchen, cabinet making it easier to turn on and off the garbage disposal. This is especially useful if your mobility or reach is limited.
Because it is easier to clean and disinfect, an air switch is more sanitary than a wall switch. This is especially important in a kitchen setting where food particles and bacteria can accumulate.
An air switch is often more visually appealing than a wall switch because it can be made to match the countertop or sink. This can enhance the overall appearance of the kitchen.
An air switch is generally more durable than a wall switch because it is less susceptible to damage from water or other environmental factors.
How To Install Garbage Disposal Air Switch?
You can install an air switch with your garbage disposal with ease using our guide below.
- Garbage disposal air switch kit (includes air switch button, air tubing, control box, and a power cord)
- Wire stripper
- Electrical tape
- Turn off the power to the garbage disposal by switching off the circuit breaker or removing the fuse.
- Drill a hole in the sink or countertop where you want to install the air switch button.
- Feed the air tubing through the hole and connect it to the bottom of the air switch button.
- Mount the air switch button to the sink or countertop using the screws provided.
- Connect the other end of the air tubing to the control box under the sink. Secure the tubing with a zip tie or clamp.
- Connect the power cord from the garbage disposal to the control box. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for connecting the wires.
- Connect the power cord from the air switch to the control box. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for connecting the wires.
- Attach the ground wire from the control box to the metal frame of the garbage disposal using pliers.
- Turn on the power to the garbage disposal by switching on the circuit breaker or replacing the fuse.
- Test the air switch by pressing the button. The garbage disposal should turn on.
Q: Where should a Garbage Disposal Air Switch be installed?
This air switch ought to be installed in a convenient spot near the sink, such as on the wall or on the countertop. The air switch must be wired to the garbage disposal’s power supply so that when the switch is activated, the garbage disposal will turn on.
It should be placed within easy reach so that it is readily accessible when needed.
Q: What does an air switch do on a waste disposal unit?
An air switch on a waste disposal unit is a type of switch that operates the unit by air pressure instead of an electrical current. This allows the user to turn on the disposal with a simple push of a button, typically mounted on the wall or countertop near the sink.
This eliminates the need for electrical wiring and makes the switch safer to use. The air switch sends a signal to the motor inside the disposal to turn on and off, providing a convenient and efficient way to operate the unit.
Q: Does Garbage Disposal need a 15 or 20 Ampere switch?
A garbage disposal requires a dedicated circuit with both a 15 or 20-ampere switch depending upon the situation. The switch is used to control the flow of electricity to the garbage disposal and should be rated to handle the load of the garbage disposal.
The size of the switch depends on the size and type of garbage disposal installed. A 15-amp switch is generally used for a 1/2 HP garbage disposal and a 20-amp switch is recommended for larger or higher-powered disposal.
Q: Why is my disposal air switch not working?
If your garbage disposal air switch is not working, there are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
Check the power source:
Ensure that the air switch is receiving power. Check the circuit breaker or fuse box to see if there is a tripped breaker or blown fuse.
Inspect the air hose:
Check the air hose that runs from the air switch to the control box under the sink. Make sure that the hose is properly connected and not damaged or clogged.
Check the control box:
If the air switch is receiving power and the air hose is properly connected, check the control box under the sink. Look for any loose or damaged wiring, and make sure that the control box is properly grounded.
Replace the air switch:
If all else fails, the air switch itself may need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement air switch online or from a hardware store. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation.
In order to have a top-performing garbage disposal, it is important to have an air switch that is easy to install, has a reliable on/off switch, and can withstand regular use. The ideal switch should handle both wet and dry debris and efficiently break down food waste.
Based on our review, the SINKINGDOM SinkTop Air Switch stands out as the best option due to its ease of installation thanks to its Two Gaskets and Enhanced Copper Nut, as well as its compatibility with disposers up to 3 HP.
For those who are looking for a cost-effective solution, the BESTILL Sink Top Air Switch is a great choice. It is UL Certified, has a Single outlet power module, and comes with an 18-Month Limited Warranty.
We hope this information was helpful in your search for the perfect air switch for your garbage disposal. Thank you for your attention.
Gemma Alexander has an M.S. in urban horticulture and a backyard filled with native plants. After working in a genetics laboratory and at a landfill, she now writes about the environment and recycling topics.